Finding something flavorful and fun-to-eat to “pamper” your love for caramel? These Caremellows are right up your street. Melted caramels poured into a baking sheet, scraped all over with marshmallow mixture of powdered gelatin, sugar, corn syrup, vanilla extract, and kosher salt, let set, cut into squares, dipped into melted chocolate, then refrigerated until set. Your kids would go crazy for them!
CaramellowsCourse: Snacks, DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
As these caramellows are quite easy to make, just let your kids involve in the preparation if they get interested. Have fun!
- FOR CARAMEL
2 (11-oz.) packages soft caramels
- FOR MARSHMALLOW
2 tbsp. powdered gelatin
1 c. granulated sugar
1 tbsp. light corn syrup
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- FOR COATING
2 c. dark milk chocolate chips, melted
- Grease an 8″-x-8″ baking dish with cooking spray and line with parchment, leaving a 2-inch overhang on two sides. Spray parchment with cooking spray.
- To make caramel: In a heatproof medium bowl, microwave caramels over high until melted, stirring every 30 seconds, about 2 minutes total. Carefully, pour into baking dish and smooth top with a spatula. Let sit at room temperature, do not refrigerate.
- To make marshmallow: In a stand mixer, whisk gelatin with 1/3 cup water and let sit. In a small saucepan, combine sugar with corn syrup and 1/4 cup of water and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cook over moderate heat, without stirring, until sugar syrup registers between 240° and 250°on a candy thermometer, about 6 minutes.
- Carefully drizzle hot syrup down the side of the stand mixer bowl, while beating at medium-low speed.
- Add in vanilla and a large pinch of salt. Beat at high speed until thick and glossy, about 4 minutes.
- To assemble: Quickly scrape marshmallow mixture on top of the caramel and smooth with a spatula. Let sit at room temperature, at least 1 hour.
- Using parchment overhang, lift caramel and marshmallow out of the pan and cut into squares.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a fork, dip each candy square into the melted chocolate, then set on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place in refrigerator until set, about 15 minutes and serve immediately.